OIE:HIGHLY PATHOGENIC AVIAN INFLUENZA IN CHINA Follow-up report No. 9
submited by kickingbird at Nov, 25, 2005 13:49 PM from OIE
Information received on 18, 20, 22 and 23 November 2005 from Mr Jia Youling, Director General, Veterinary Bureau, Ministry of Agriculture, Beijing:
End of previous report period: 17 November 2005 (see Disease Information, 18 , 435, dated 18 November 2005).
End of this report period: 23 November 2005.
Precise identification of agent: highly pathogenic avian influenza virus subtype H5N1.
Date of first confirmation of the event: 7 June 2005.
Nature of diagnosis: clinical, post-mortem and laboratory.
Details of new outbreaks:
|First administrative division||Lower administrative division||Type of epidemiological unit||Name of the location||Date of start of the outbreak||Species||Number of animals in the outbreaks|
|Hubei province||Shishou city||village||Swan economic developing area||Nov. 2005||avi||7,300||3,500||3,500||3,800||0|
|Inner Mongolia autonomous region||Molidawa Dawo´er autonomous county||village||Wulan||15 Nov. 2005||avi||176||176||3,202||0|
|Ningxia autonomous region||Yinchuan city||village||Shangqian Cheng||17 Nov. 2005||avi||1,130||294||230||900||0|
|Shanxi province||Xiaoyi city||village||Gaoyang||10 Nov. 2005||avi||9,386||8,103||8,103||1,283||0|
|Xinjiang autonomous region||Miquan city||village||Niuzhuangzi||15 Nov. 2005||avi||6,120||2,064||2,064||4,056||0|
|Xinjiang autonomous region||Urumchi city||village||Daban Cheng||16 Nov. 2005||avi||125||38||38||87||0|
|Xinjiang autonomous region||Urumchi city||village||Wulabo||12 Nov. 2005||avi||56||8||8||48||0|
|Yunnan province||Chuxiong city||village||Hehua||17 Nov. 2005||avi||11,000||2,500||2,500||8,500||0|
Description of affected population in the new outbreaks: chickens and geese.
|Laboratory where diagnostic tests were performed||Diagnostic tests used||Date||Results|
|Harbin Veterinary Research Institute, Chinese Academy of Agricultural Sciences, Harbin (national reference laboratory for avian influenza)||
- haemagglutination inhibition test;
|16-23 Nov. 2005||positive|
|intravenous pathogenicity index (IVPI) test||16-23 Nov. 2005||positive (highly pathogenic)|
Source of new outbreaks: contact with wild birds.
Control measures undertaken:
- stamping out applied to 254,464 birds around the outbreaks;
- movement control inside the country;
- disinfection of infected premises/establishments;
Final report: no.
(1) RT-PCR: reverse transcriptase - polymerase chain reaction
- WOAH: Influenza A viruses of high pathogenicity (Infection with H5N1) (non-poultry including wild birds) (2017-), China 11 days ago
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Sichuan province Jun, 29, 2022
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Jiangxi province Jun, 27, 2022
- China: Confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Hunan and Guizhou province Jun, 9, 2022
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H3N8) reported in Hunan province Jun, 1, 2022