Hong Kong to strengthen lab test in infectious diseases
submited by kickingbird at Feb, 28, 2005 13:24 PM from Xinhua News Agency
Professor Joseph Sung of the university´s faculty of medicine said the new established laboratory would be utilized to carry out tests of infectious diseases including (Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome) SARS and the threatening avian flu etc.
According to Sung, the university would put studies of SARS in priority, which include the mechanisms of lymphocyte loss in SARS-CoV infection and the identification of human cell line model of persistent coronavirus (SARS-CoV) infection and studies in the cytokines and chemokines response.
Besides, avian flu projects comprising studies on new anti-viral compounds and drug resistance would also be done in the laboratory.
Sung said while Vietnam and Thailand keep discovering new cases of human contracting avian flu, Hong Kong is at an alert level in the threat of the disease.
At this stage, the most important is to watch closely the development of the spread of the disease, he said.
- WOAH: Influenza A viruses of high pathogenicity (Infection with H5N1) (non-poultry including wild birds) (2017-), China 7 days ago
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Sichuan province Jun, 29, 2022
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Jiangxi province Jun, 27, 2022
- China: Confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Hunan and Guizhou province Jun, 9, 2022
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H3N8) reported in Hunan province Jun, 1, 2022