Doctors testing boy for bird flu in Vietnam
submited by kickingbird at Aug, 18, 2004 8:8 AM from Deepikaglobal.com
Vu Cong Tien is from Long My the district of Hau Giang province, where one person was confirmed to have died of bird flu on August 2, and three others died of suspected bird flu but were not tested for the disease.
Tien was admitted to hospital on Saturday after two days of displaying a high fever, said a doctor from the Can Tho Paediatrics Hospital.
The doctor said Tien had eaten duck raised by his family that had died mysteriously.
Tiens condition is improving but he is not yet in a stable condition,´´ said the doctor from infectious department of the hospital where the boy is being treated.
A blood test sample from the boy has been sent to the Pasteur Institute in Ho Chi Minh City to test for the presence of the H5N1 virus.
Phan Van Tu, director of the laboratory at the Pasteur Institute said a result may be available by Tuesday afternoon.
A 20-year-old woman who had been suspected to have the disease, Tran Thi Be Dieu, also from the southern Mekong Delta province of Hau Giang has tested negative and is expected to make a full recovery Last week Vietnam confirmed three new deaths, including two children, from the deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu.
Two children, aged one and four, died in Ha Tay province, 20 kilometres west of Hanoi.
- WOAH: Influenza A viruses of high pathogenicity (Infection with H5N1) (non-poultry including wild birds) (2017-), China 13 days ago
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Sichuan province Jun, 29, 2022
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Jiangxi province Jun, 27, 2022
- China: Confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Hunan and Guizhou province Jun, 9, 2022
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H3N8) reported in Hunan province Jun, 1, 2022