China: Eurasian Curlew carcass tests positive for H5N1 virus in Hong Kong
submited by kickingbird at Jan, 27, 2022 7:35 AM from AFCD, HK S.A.R
The bird carcass was found and collected earlier at a gei wai in the MPNR and preliminarily tested positive for H5 AI virus on January 24. The Eurasian Curlew is a winter visitor mainly found in the intertidal area of Deep Bay area, including Mai Po.
The spokesman said cleaning and disinfection of visitor facilities including bird hides and boardwalk has been stepped up. Disinfectant carpet has been placed at the entrance of the MPNR for visitors to disinfect the soles of their shoes. In addition, the AFCD is closely monitoring the situation of the birds in the MPNR and has put up notices to remind visitors to pay attention to personal hygiene.
There are no chicken farms within three kilometres of where the dead bird was found. Since the beginning of winter, the AFCD has strengthened AI surveillance and closely monitored the situation of the local poultry farms and the wholesale market. Poultry farmers, pet bird shop owners and licence holders of pet poultry and racing pigeons are reminded from time to time to ensure that proper precautions against AI have been implemented.
The spokesman said that the department will closely monitor poultry farms and the wholesale market to ensure that proper precautions against AI have been taken and will continue its wild bird monitoring and surveillance.
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality (the case resided in Sichuan province) Aug, 23, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9) reported in Sichuan Province Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A H5N1 HPAIV outbreak in wild birds reported in Naqu city of Xizang Autonomous Region Jul, 28, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Guangxi Autonomous Region Jul, 20, 2023