Indonesia to provide bird flu data online (AP)
submited by wanglh at May, 15, 2008 13:37 PM from Yahoo News
JAKARTA, Indonesia - Indonesia"e;s health minister says she will give all genetic information about her country"e;s bird flu virus to a new global database.
Experts say that will go a long way toward monitoring the disease, which is threatening to spark a pandemic.
Indonesia has been withholding bird flu virus samples and DNA sequencing data from the World Health Organization for more than a year. It says the global body"e;s 50-year-old virus sharing system is unfair to developing countries.
That has made it impossible for scientists to see if the virus was mutating to a more dangerous form in Indonesia.
Health Minister Siti Fadilah Supari says she decided to cooperate with the online databank launched Thursday because it is fully transparent and protects intellectual property rights.
- WOAH: Influenza A viruses of high pathogenicity (Infection with H5N1) (non-poultry including wild birds) (2017-), China 14 days ago
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Sichuan province Jun, 29, 2022
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Jiangxi province Jun, 27, 2022
- China: Confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Hunan and Guizhou province Jun, 9, 2022
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H3N8) reported in Hunan province Jun, 1, 2022