WHO: Avian influenza-situation in Pakistan-update 2
submited by kickingbird at Apr, 5, 2008 10:7 AM from WHO
3 April 2008
Two additional H5N1 cases were confirmed by serological testing, thus providing final H5N1 infection test results on a previously reported family cluster in Peshawar.
These tests were conducted by the WHO H5 Reference Laboratory in Cairo, Egypt and the WHO Collaborating Centre for Reference and Research on Influenza in Atlanta, USA. The table below summarises the testing results of the confirmed/probable cases in the family cluster.
- The preliminary risk assessment found no evidence of sustained or community human to human transmission.
- All identified close contacts including the other members of the affected family and involved health care workers remain asymptomatic and have been removed from close medical observation.
These laboratory test results support the epidemiological findings from the outbreak investigation in December 2007, and the final risk assessment that suggested limited human to human transmission likely occurred among some of the family members which is consistent with some human-to-human transmission events reported previously. This outbreak did not extend into the community, and appropriate steps were taken to reduce future risks of human infections.
|Case 1 (Index case)||29 Oct 07||Fully recovered||Direct contact sick/dead poultry||Confirmed (serology)|
|Case 2||12 Nov 07||Dead (19 Nov 07)||Close contact with Case 1, no known direct contact with sick/dead poultry||Probable|
(No sample available)
|Case 3||21 Nov 07||Dead (28 Nov 07)||Close contact with Case 1 and 2, no known direct contact with sick/dead poultry||Confirmed (PCR)|
|Case 4||21 Nov 07||Fully recovered||Close contact with Case 1 and 2, no known direct contact with sick/dead poultry||Confirmed (serology)|
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality (the case resided in Sichuan province) Aug, 23, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9) reported in Sichuan Province Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Chongqing Municipality Aug, 17, 2023
- China: A H5N1 HPAIV outbreak in wild birds reported in Naqu city of Xizang Autonomous Region Jul, 28, 2023
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Guangxi Autonomous Region Jul, 20, 2023