WB offers Vietnam loans to combat bird flu
submited by wanglh at Apr, 14, 2007 0:29 AM from People Daily
Under agreements signed between the WB and the State Bank of Vietnam here Thursday, the WB will provide a preferential credit of 20 million dollars for the project.
The European Union will grant 10 million dollars, Japan five million dollars, and Vietnam provides reciprocal capital of three million dollars.
The three-year project aims to increase the effectiveness of local authorities"e; actions to reduce bird flu risks in 11 provinces once hit by the disease, including Lang Son, Ha Tay, Thai Binh and Thanh Hoa in the northern region, Ha Tinh, Thua Thien Hue, Binh Dinh in the central region, and Tay Ninh, Long An, Tien Giang and Dong Thap in the southern region.
To date, Vietnam has reported 93 human bid flu cases, including 42 fatalities.
The country has so far detected over 2,000 bird flu outbreaks among poultry, the biggest number in the world, leading to the killing or the forced killing of over 40 million fowls, or about 15 percent of its poultry population. The direct cost of bird flu in Vietnam is estimated at 200 million dollars so far, said the WB.
- WOAH: Influenza A viruses of high pathogenicity (Infection with H5N1) (non-poultry including wild birds) (2017-), China 14 days ago
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Sichuan province Jun, 29, 2022
- China: A human case of avian influenza A(H5N6) reported in Jiangxi province Jun, 27, 2022
- China: Confirmed human cases of avian influenza A(H9N2) reported in Hunan and Guizhou province Jun, 9, 2022
- China: Confirmed human case of avian influenza A(H3N8) reported in Hunan province Jun, 1, 2022